Thursday, August 28, 2008

Maya Azucena

The funkiest woman I have ever seen on stage is Maya Azucena.


It would have been Joss Stone had she only staged a concert in Cebu.

Maya, however, beat her to it this summer at the Ayala Center. She was not only funky, but sexy, strong, and powerful. She rocked the stage so effectively that I had never seen the Cebu crowd respond as enthusiastically to virtual unknowns as it had to Maya and to her Jazz band. All Maya had to do was belt out song after song, and groove to her own music.

What talent!


I watched the afternoon revelry with my colleague, fellow jazz and funk enthusiast, and very good friend, Daisy. After the show, it was her who convinced me to go up to Maya with her and congratulate the obscure singer from Brooklyn for an electrifying set of original reggae, soul, and r&b music. Weirdly enough since I just confessed my jologosity in the same site (to the risk of my credibility as a registrar), I played squeamish and told her to go ahead alone. But thankfully (!), Daisy did not budge. Before I knew it, I was standing with Daisy in awe at Maya's beauty and funkiness up close.

And she was very pleasant -- not even the local unknowns would dare reveal that they actually have ample time to spend chit-chatting with their instant fans! As we were about to go, she handed Daisy and I a copy each of her calling card and the nicest pleasantry I've heard, "Let me know if you girls ever find yourselves in Brooklyn!"

Sure Maya!


My last words to Maya? "You are the funkiest woman I have ever seen on stage. I'll see you soon on MTV!"

(photos of Maya from Google Images)

No comments: