Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sir Leonilo Estimo

My friend Vera informed me a few minutes ago that our teacher back in college, Sir Leonilo Estimo, recently died of kidney disease. I last saw Sir Estimo when I visited UP one afternoon two years ago. He was walking to the gate on the clearly defined sidewalk of the Cebu campus at a very slow pace, with his back slightly hunched. He was as how I remembered him from my second year (forced) elective class: polo-and-slacks, dark-skinned, thin (and seemingly getting thinner), a hint of gel in his wavy hair (i vaguely remember that stray curl on his forehead ala Elvis), and the black attache case. I did not go up to him and shared pleasantry because I doubted he remembered me at all.

I sucked in his Cebuano class. Though he was pleasant, he did not let me get off easily for my very bad reading in Cebuano and slow understanding of the figures of Cebuano language. In all honesty, I loathed his class. I am always racked with worry every recitation time, fearing he'd remember that I'm the same student who has stumbled over her Cebuano in a straight sentence countless times and has still not understood the intricacies of Cebuano grammar. It also did not help that his class was scheduled at 6 pm in the evening, or about the same time my brain is dead after the long day.

Despite these frustrations, I still gave him the respect that he (earned and) demanded. Sir Estimo's name is always dropped when it comes to the foremost Cebuano writers. He is a Don Carlos Palanca Awardee for Literature (Short Story in Cebuano). For most of my classmates (those with an easy grasp of the language), he was an effective teacher. But he never gave up on the rest. He never gave up on me. In return, I never intentionally missed his class. I never engaged in chatters with my chatterbox co-Mass Commers. I never burrowed myself under my cloth bag to nap (unlike other classmates). And I always tried, though unsuccessful, to ace his exams.

He was the first among the many Cebuanos I met who showed absolute regard for the Cebuano language. In his own right, he was an unparalleled advocate for it.

Rest in peace, Sir.

Maria Vita Tan Rodriguez
02-42101

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't stop my tears from falling upon hearing about his "expiry" last night. Sir Estimo is one of the most wonderful mentors I had in my school days. The last year I saw him was in 2005. It was the first year of his dialysis and with that alone he had lost a lot of weight. Last night I was told that you could hardly recognize him with his looks.

Our condolences goes to the Estimo family.

To our beloved mentor who never gave up his passion, teaching, till the end...we highly salute you sir!! We all gonna miss you...You're happier to where you are now :)